Resting in a Busy World

 

The Radical Act of Resting in a Busy World

Pull up a chair, leave the laundry in the dryer for another hour, and let’s chat. Is your coffee hot? I hope so.

I was sitting with my coffee this morning, staring at a patch of weeds in the garden that desperately needs pulling. My brain immediately started its the beginning of the weekend "Hustle Chant": You should be weeding. You should be folding. You should be prepping for next week. But then I realized something. My worth is not tied to how many errands I run on the weekend.

The Gift of the Sabbath

For me, Saturday is more than just a day off. It is the Sabbath. It is a day specifically set apart for rest, reflection, and reconnection. Observing the Sabbath is my way of intentionally pushing back against the "busy-ness" of the world. 

It is a built-in reminder that the work can wait and that my spirit needs nourishment just as much as my body needs sleep.

We live in a world that treats "busy" like a badge of honor. We have been conditioned to feel guilty the moment our feet hit the ottoman. But rest isn't just "time off." It is a requirement for staying human. If we don’t intentionally reclaim our time, the world will happily consume every second of it.

Small Tools for a Mindful Reset

Even on a day of rest, sometimes the brain struggles to just "turn off." It helps to have a few gentle rituals that anchor you in the present moment and help you honor that Sabbath peace:

  • The Brain Dump (Journaling): When my mind is racing with "to-dos," I write them all down just to get them out of my head. Once they are on paper, I give myself permission to ignore them until the Sabbath is over. It is like clearing the cache on a computer.
[Get your JOURNAL Here]
[Get your PENS Here]

  • Creating a "Vibe": I find that I rest better when the atmosphere changes. Lighting a candle that smells like a forest or sea salt signals to my brain that the "work day" is over and the sacred rest has begun.
[Get your CANDLE Here] 
[Get your Candle WARMER Here]

  • The Analog Hobby: There is something so restorative about doing something with your hands that doesn't involve a screen. Whether it is a puzzle, a coloring book, or just a physical book, it helps the "scroll-reflex" fade away.
[Get your Adult COLORING BOOK Here]
[Get your THROW BLANKET Here]

Your Permission Slip

Whether you observe a traditional Sabbath or are just trying to find a few hours of peace, I am handing you a permission slip today. You have permission to let the dust sit. You have permission to say "no" to that extra social commitment. You have permission to sit in the quiet and just breathe.

The world won't stop spinning if you take a beat. In fact, you will probably find that when you finally do get back to the hustle, you are doing it from a place of peace instead of a place of depletion.

I want to hear from you. What is one radical act of rest you are doing for yourself today?


As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silent Struggle: Understanding and Overcoming Postpartum Rage