The Human Behind the Parent: When "Mom and Dad" Become People
The Human Behind the Parent: When "Mom and Dad" Become People
They say that when you have a child, your entire world changes.
We usually focus on the immediate shifts: the lack of sleep, the mountain of laundry, and the overwhelming, heart-stretching love for this new little person. But one of the most unexpected and quietest shifts happens when we look backward at the people who raised us.
Suddenly, they aren't just "Mom and Dad" anymore. They are humans.
They are people who had lives before we arrived, dreams they might have set aside, and fears they had to hide so we could feel safe. For the first time, we aren't looking up at them as authority figures who have it all figured out. We are looking across at them as fellow travelers on a very difficult, very beautiful road.
This shift changes everything about how we remember our past and how we navigate our own future as parents.
The Myth of the All-Knowing Parent
Growing up, our parents are like superheroes. We think they have all the answers. We assume every decision they made was backed by absolute certainty and a master plan. As children, we don't see their internal battles, their doubts, or their silent sacrifices because, frankly, we aren’t meant to. To a child, a parent is a fixed point in the universe, steady and unbreakable.
But then, the roles shift. You find yourself standing in your own kitchen at 2:00 AM with a crying baby, or feeling that deep, soul-crushing exhaustion after a day of "momming" where everything went wrong. And in that quiet, weary moment, it hits you like a ton of bricks: They were just like me.
They were just as tired as I am right now. They were just as unsure, just as overwhelmed, and just as human.
Suddenly, you remember a time your mom seemed "mean" for saying no to a sleepover, and you realize she was actually just a woman who had reached her limit after a forty hour work week.
You remember your dad being "quiet" at dinner, and you realize he was likely carrying the weight of a thousand invisible worries on his shoulders. Those moments you cataloged as "parental flaws" were actually just moments where a human being ran out of capacity.
It is a humbling experience to realize that while you were looking at them as all-powerful protectors, they were often just white-knuckling it through the day. They didn't have a handbook anymore than we do. They were making split-second decisions based on the energy they had left and the tools they had been given by their own parents.
This shift in perspective is where the true healing begins. When we stop holding our parents to the standard of "perfection" that only a child expects, we can start to offer them the grace that only another parent can provide. We start to see their choices not as personal slights against our childhood, but as the best they could do in the circumstances they were in.
It makes you wonder: what will my children see when they look back? I hope they see the effort, the love, and the joy. But more than anything, I hope they eventually see my humanity, too. I hope they realize that I wasn't a superhero. I was just a woman who loved them enough to keep trying, even on the days when I was running on empty.
Seeing Through a New Lens
Becoming a parent is like getting a backstage pass to your own childhood. You start to re-read your history through a new lens.
You realize that when your mom seemed "distracted," she might have been worrying about the mortgage or a friendship that was falling apart. When your dad was "strict," he might have been terrified of the world hurting you in ways he couldn't prevent.
You start to see that they were navigating their own fears, their own traumas, and their own exhaustion, all while trying to make sure you felt safe and loved.
This realization brings a complex mix of emotions:
• Radical Empathy: You finally understand why they might have been short-tempered on a random Tuesday. You realize they weren't "angry at you," they were just overwhelmed by life.
• Complex Forgiveness: You begin to see that the "mistakes" they made weren't necessarily choices of malice, but moments where they ran out of tools. They were doing their best with the emotional "kit" they had at the time.
• Quiet Awe: You look back and wonder how they kept it all together. How did they make the magic happen on birthdays when they were struggling? How did they keep a smile on their face when their own hearts were heavy?
Breaking the Cycle with Grace
Seeing our parents as humans doesn't take away from their role; it actually makes the bond much deeper. It allows us to move away from the "child" mindset of expectation and into the "adult" mindset of connection. We stop looking for perfection and start looking for the person.
It also changes how we view ourselves. If they were human and they made it through, then it’s okay for us to be human too. We can give ourselves the same grace we are finally learning to give them. We can admit we don't have all the answers, and that’s okay.
As I navigate my own journey, I find myself reflecting on this shift daily. It makes me more patient with my own kids, and infinitely more grateful for the "humans" who walked this path before me.
It makes me realize that the grace I’m finally extending to my parents is the same grace I need to start giving myself.
If they could be imperfect and still be wonderful, then I can be imperfect too. I don't have to have all the answers or get it right every single time to be a "good mom." Understanding their humanity has given me permission to embrace my own. I can admit when I'm tapped out, I can apologize when I lose my cool, and I can be honest about the fact that some days I am just winging it.
This shift has also turned my gratitude into something much deeper than a thank-you note on Mother’s Day. It is a profound respect for the resilience they showed. I look at old photos of them holding me, and I don’t just see a young couple. I see two people who were probably terrified, sleep-deprived, and doing their absolute best to build a world for me while their own world was often loud and unpredictable.
Ultimately, seeing our parents as people doesn't diminish their role in our lives; it makes the love we have for them more real. It moves the relationship from a place of "what you did for me" to "who we are together." We are all just parents, standing in our kitchens, trying to love our kids better than we did yesterday. And that, in itself, is a beautiful thing.
Have you had this "aha" moment yet? Was there a specific moment when you realized your parents were just figuring it out as they went? Let's share our stories in the comments.

Comments
Post a Comment